As attention across the globe increasingly focuses on climate change, technically sound solutions are needed to support both climate adaptation and mitigation. The electric grid plays a central role in the solution space, and PES is responding to the challenge. Building off previous activities, the PES Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee (ITSLC) has released a technical report that describes the broad landscape of technologies and capabilities that industry can deploy to support the communities they serve in mitigating impacts from and adapting to climate change. This report, titled “Importance of T&D Grid Modernization to Mitigate Impacts from and Adapt to Climate Change,” and associated foundational activities are presented herein.
- To learn more & get involved, please check out the IEEE PES Industry Technical Support Leadership Committee (ITSLC) web-page.
- As of February 2022, the IEEE ITSLC has created a Climate Task Force, with the charge of coordinating and implementing Climate-focused activities for PES.
- In coordination with the Climate Task Force, the IEEE PES Long Range Planning Committee is strategically planning climate-related activities that PES will undertake in the future.
- The Distributed Resources Integration Working Group is addressing several challenges at the intersection of climate adaptation and mitigation, defining the impact of distributed resources on planning, design, operation, protection, reliability, power quality, and safety of power distribution systems.
- Interested members can engage with the ITSLC and the Climate Task Force in the following ways:
- Attend IEEE ISGT-NA/T&D to interact with leading members and partners in tackling each of the technology challenges outlined in the TR93 technical report.
- Attend the IEEE PES General Meeting (GM), where the Climate Task Force has organized a panel session discussing the role of the grid in responding to Climate Change.
- TR93: Importance of T&D Grid Modernization to Mitigate Impacts from and Adapt to Climate Change
- TR 83: Resilience Framework, Methods, and Metrics for the Electricity Sector
Check out the latest articles on DER Valuation and other related topics in the March/April 2022 issue here.
- Transmission Planning for 100% Clean Electricity, Debra Lew et al, PEM 2021, Nov/Dec, p 56.
- Carbon-Free Energy, Ric O’Connell et al, PEM 2021, Nov/Dec, p 67.
- Variable Renewable Energy Integration, Hannele Holttinen et al, PEM 2021, Nov/Dec, p 86
- Achieving World-Leading Penetration of Renewables, Barry O’Connell et al, PEM 2021, Sep/Oct, p 18.
- Network Congestion Management, Archie Chapman et al, PEM 2021, Jul/Aug, p 41.
- The Impact of Renewables on Operational Security, Ivan Dudurych, PEM 2021, Mar/Apr, p 37
- A Novel Approach to Transmission Bottleneck Management in Japan, Noritaka Ohashi et al, PEM 2021, Mar/Apr, p 69.
- Hawaii’s Grid Architecture for High Renewables, Marc Asano, PEM 2019, Sep/Oct, p 40.
- Smart and Green Substations, Heejin Kim et al, PEM 2019, Jul/Aug, p 24.
- Offshore Substation Design, Vandad Hamadi et al, PEM 2019, Jul/Aug, p 67.
- Ensuring System Reliability, Charlie Vartanian et al, PEM 2018, Nov/Dec, p 53.
- April 20, 2022 | Importance of T&D Grid Modernization to Mitigate Impacts from and Adapt to Climate Change Webinar: Register
- July 29, 2021 | IEEE PES GM Super Session: Impact of Climate Change on the Power Grid (video recording) (ieee-pes.org)