Centralized Protection and Control (CPC) Systems within a Substation, the next great disruptive technology to design and implement electrical power substation protection and control systems is being examined today. Approximately 30 years ago, the industry went from designing around many single function devices to using multifunction devices and integrating them to perform many ancillary functions. The next revolution may be to use a centralized computing platform running (virtual) protective relays in a software environment to protect all the individual apparatus and zones of protection in an electric power substation. Primary analog power system quantities, such as voltages and currents, are digitized by process interface units (PIU) and interfaced to the CPC via fiber optic Ethernet communications links. The IEEE PES Power System Relaying & Control (PSRC) Committee has an active group writing PC37.300, Guide for Centralized Protection and Control (CPC) Systems within a Substation. The guide is expected to be out for IEEE balloting during Q4 of 2022. Interested individual can express their interest in IEEE SA website to receive meeting invitations. The IEEE PES Power System Communications and Cybersecurity (PSCC) Committee has a study group examining the need for writing a standard for system architectures supporting the virtualization of substation protection and control applications associated with such a CPC system.
- To learn more & get involved, please check out the IEEE PES Power System Relaying & Control (PSRC) Committee website.
- Register to attend the IEEE PES PSRC Committee Meeting being held in Reno, NV (May 9 -12, 2022): REGISTER HERE.
- Interested individuals can express their interest via the IEEE Standards Association (SA) website to receive meeting invitations for C37.300 (Working Group H45) here.
- IEEE PES Technical Report (TR55): Centralized Substation Protection and Control (December 2015)
- Note: This version of the IEEE PES TR55 has just been re-posted via the IEEE PES Resource Center to reflect an updated version of the report.
- R. Das et al., “Distribution Automation Strategies: Evolution of Technologies and the Business Case,” in Proc. IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, DOI:10.1109/TSG.2014.2368393, pp. 2166-2175, July 2015.
- Working Group on Centralized Substation Protection and Control, IEEE Power System Relaying Committee, “Advancements in Centralized Protection and Control Within a Substation,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRD.2016.2528958, pp. 1945-1952, Vol 31, No. 4, Aug 2016.
- H.F. Albinali and A. P. Sakis Meliopoulos, “Resilient Protection System Through Centralized Substation Protection,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRD.2017.2789318, pp. 1418-1427, Vol 33, No. 3, June 2018.
- R. Wójtowicz, R. Kowalik and D. D. Rasolomampionona, “Next Generation of Power System Protection Automation—Virtualization of Protection Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRD.2017.2786339, pp. 2002-2010, Vol 33, No. 4, Aug 2018.
- R. Wójtowicz, R. Kowalik and D. D. Rasolomampionona, “Virtualization of Protection Systems – Tests Performed on a Large Environment Based on Data Center Solutions,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRD.2021.3128993, Early Access Article, Accepted Nov 2021.
- F. Deng, X. Ji and G. Huang, “A Centralized Distribution Protection System,” 2012 China International Conference on Electricity Distribution (CICED 2012), DOI: 10.1109/CICED.2012.6508695, Paper No CP0649, Shanghai, 5-6 Sep. 2012.
- Z. Bo et al., “A New Concept Intelligent Integrated Protection System for Distribution Network,” 5th International conference on Electric Utility Deregulation and Restructuring and Power Technologies, DOI: 10.1109/DRPT.2015.7432353, Changsha, China, Nov 26-29, 2015.
- L. Wang et al., “Hierarchy of distribution centralized substation area protection system based on All-in-one devices,” 5th International conference on Electric Utility Deregulation and Restructuring and Power Technologies, DOI: 10.1109/DRPT.2015.7432355, Changsha, China, Nov 26-29, 2015.
- A. Umair; A. Nikander and P. Järventausta, “Simulation environment for centralized protection and control applying dSPACE and RTDS with IEC 61850 9–2 communication”, 2016 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference Europe (ISGT-Europe), DOI: 10.1109/ISGTEurope.2016.7856231, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 9-12 Oct. 2016.
- I.N. Lizunov, R.Sh. Misbakhov and I.Z. Bagautdinov, “The Centralized System of Relay Protection and Automation for Substations of Medium Voltage,” 2016 2nd International Conference on Industrial Engineering, Applications and Manufacturing (ICIEAM), DOI: 10.1109/ICIEAM.2016.7911449, Chelyabinsk, Russia, 19-20 May 2016.
- R. Das, V. Madani and A.P. (Sakis) Meliopoulos, “Leveraging smart grid technology and using microgrid as a vehicle to benefit DER integration,” 2017 IEEE Power & Energy Society Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference (ISGT), DOI: 10.1109/ISGT.2017.8085961, Washington, DC, USA, 23-26 April 2017.
- S. Xu et al., “Reliability evaluation of centralized protection system in smart substation considering impact of communication message,” 2018 2nd IEEE Conference on Energy Internet and Energy System Integration (EI2), DOI: 10.1109/EI2.2018.8582424, Beijing, China 20-22 Oct. 2018.
- F. Hohn, J. Wang and L. Nordstrom, “Design of a Distributed Signal Processing Unit for Transmission Line Protection in a Centralized Substation Protection Architecture,” IECON 2018 – 44th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, DOI: 10.1109/IECON.2018.8591767, Washington, DC, USA, 21-23 Oct. 2018.
- G. Kulathu and J. Starck, “Hybrid Protection and Control System for Distribution Substations in Power Utilities, Industries and Infrastructure,” 2018 20th National Power Systems Conference (NPSC), DOI: 10.1109/NPSC.2018.8771820, Tiruchirappalli, India, 14-16 Dec. 2018.
- S. Ansari et al., “Operational Testing of Virtual and Physical IEDs using Goose for Protection Application”, 15th International Conference on Developments in Power System Protection (DPSP 2020), DOI: 10.1049/cp.2020.0010, Liverpool, UK, 9-12 March 2020.
- C.P. Teoh, R. Hunt and G. Lloyd , “A centralized protection and control system using a well proven transmission class protection relay,” 15th International Conference on Developments in Power System Protection (DPSP 2020), DOI: 10.1049/cp.2020.0088, Liverpool, UK, March 9-12, 2020.
- D. Moiseev, N. Galanina and N. Ivanova, “Development of the Software Package of Diagnostics of the Centralized Relay Protection and Automation System,” 2020 International Ural Conference on Electrical Power Engineering (UralCon), DOI: 10.1109/UralCon49858.2020.9216296, Chelyabinsk, Russia, 22-24 Sept. 2020.
- J. Valtari, “Correlation based fault management for centralized protection and control,” 2020 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Europe (ISGT-Europe), DOI: 10.1109/ISGT-Europe47291.2020.9248815, Virtual, October 26-28, 2020.
- J. Valtari, “APPLICATION OF ADVANCED CURRENT MEASUREMENT CONDITION MONITORING METHOD WITH CENTRALIZED PROTECTION AND CONTROL SOLUTION,” CIRED 2021 Conference, DOI: 10.1049/icp.2021.1548, Geneva, 20 – 23 September 2021.
- A. Kostiainen and J. Valtari, “APPLICABILITY OF IEC 61850 FOR SCADA COMMUNICATION WITH CENTRALIZED PROTECTION AND CONTROL,” CIRED 2021 Conference, DOI: 10.1049/icp.2021.2163, Geneva, 20 – 23 September 2021.
- A. Kolesnikov, A. Kulikov and I. Lukicheva, “Increasing the Reliability of the Centralized Protection of the Digital Substation,” 2021 International Ural Conference on Electrical Power Engineering (UralCon), DOI: 10.1109/UralCon52005.2021.9559494, Magnitogorsk, Russian Federation, 24-26 Sept.2021.
- Centralized Protection and Control (CPC) within a Substation (June 2017)
- Upcoming: Fall 2022, “Centralized Protection and Control (CPC) Systems within a Substation – Activities and Roadmap” – Look out for further details on registration via future IEEE PES emails.