(Piscataway, N.J., 21 Apr 2023) — IEEE, the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for humanity, announces that IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) has launched the Workforce Initiative. As the world transitions to a zero-carbon energy system to tackle climate change, new capital investment has created a massive number of grid infrastructure projects. Power and utility executives around the globe are requesting the help of IEEE PES because of an acute shortage of skilled workers and engineers to support the zero-carbon initiative.
This new IEEE PES Workforce initiative is to launch coordinated action on workforce development while taking advantage of efforts already in place at the IEEE PES level. The intent is to expand outreach to the primary and secondary education levels and further engage with governments, educational institutions, research agencies, vendors, and others to develop and execute plans based on local industry needs and resources in the areas of education and career fostering. The goals include:
- Communicate the importance of power engineering to support carbon-neutral goals and combat global warming.
- Develop new educational tools and courses for grades 2–8, 9–12, community colleges, and universities focused on a zero-carbon initiative to introduce young people to career opportunities in the power engineering industry.
- Collaborate with academia, research organizations, consultants, equipment manufacturers, and end users on material for new technology.
- Expand and increase financial support for IEEE Power & Energy Society Scholarship Plus Initiative program.
- Launch an IEEE PES career fair (in person and virtual). Collaborate with industry and government institutions to create internships and full-time jobs for new graduates; expand summer internship opportunities for high-school students.
- Identify new tools and training required to support new skills and technology required to reach carbon-neutral goals of many countries around the globe.
We need your help! If you are interested in volunteering for this initiative please complete this form.
About IEEE Power & Energy Society
The IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) is the leading provider of scientific and engineering information on electric power & energy for the betterment of society and a trusted resource dedicated to the technical, informational, networking, and professional development needs of its members. With over 40,000 members around the globe representing every facet of the electric power and energy industry, PES is at the forefront of the rapidly changing technological advancements that impact everyone’s future. Additional information on IEEE PES can be found on our website.
IEEE is the largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. Through its highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities, IEEE is the trusted voice in a wide variety of areas ranging from aerospace systems, computers, and telecommunications to biomedical engineering, electric power, and consumer electronics. Learn more here.