Secretary’s key responsibility is to work with PES President, staff and other leaders to ensure smooth order of business and maintain PES governance documents at all levels clear, specific and consistent.
Having served as member of IEEE BoD, MGA Board, Region10 Director, PES Governing Board, MGA chair of MELCC and in other leadership roles, I have an understanding on breadth of IEEE. Having responsibly run Region10 and other meetings, I understand the advance work needed to construct an agenda, develop and provide supporting material, read and act on governance documents and ensure proper documents maintenance. I have significant R10 experience in keeping governance documents current and update when necessary. I am serving on IEEE Governance Committee in 2023-24.
I work well with staff and believe that a strong partnership between staff and volunteers can get work done efficiently and effectively. As Secretary I will work with PES Board and staff to place appropriate items on board agenda. Additionally, I will provide overall supervision of keeping meeting records, activities, membership for submission to PES Governing Board.
Ramakrishna Kappagantu graduated in Electrical from MNIT-Jaipur, did Masters in Automation & Control from PG School, JNTU-Hyderabad and obtained PhD(Electrical) from NIT-Tiruchirappalli, India.
With over 39 years leadership/managerial experience in Indian Power Sector i.e; NTPC and POWERGRID, currently Ramakrishna is Chief Technical Advisor at Eficaa EnSmart Solutions Private Limited for Technical, Strategic and New Initiatives. He earlier made significant contributions towards management of 55 Gigawatt Southern Regional Grid, its complex real time operations, Power Markets, SCADA-EMS and Smart Grid development in India.
Actively volunteering for over 30 years in IEEE and PES, he served many leadership roles viz. IEEE Board Member & Delegate in 2015-16 as R10 Director, PES Governing Board and MGA Boards. Currently Ramakrishna is PES Region10 Representative and serving in IEEE Governance Committee, IEEE Service Awards and MGA Awards.
An eminent speaker, Ramakrishna publish in reputed journals, conferences and steered many IEEE International Conferences and PES workshops.
My major accomplishments in PES & IEEE include:
- As PES MAL, spearheaded in R10, PES Global Workshops for member development. Brought together members, non-members, industry, research & academia with policy makers, regulators and government agencies to discuss challenges/opportunities with all stake holders on local needs and emerging technologies. These workshops triggered signing five PES corporate partnership agreements ensuring sustained technical activities and membership growth.
- As MAL for PES Philanthropic initiatives, streamlined PES funding pattern and selection of Smart Village Projects. Introduced engagement of PES students and YPs from local chapters for internships, academic projects and entrepreneurship opportunities in ISV projects.
- As PES Region10 Representative introduced bi-weekly review meetings and new volunteer roles in the five zones of PES R10 for member development and technical activities coordination that engage chapter leads and ensure member satisfaction.
- As R10 Director, rejuvenated R10 YP and WIE affinity groups by classifying regional activities into Zones, starting off self-sustainable events like Hard-Tech Summit, SYWL Congress. Introduced YP & WIE tracks in all R10 Flagship events.
- Created an AdHoc in Region10 to assess requirements and needs of Industry members, YPs and Graduate Students with focus on Entrepreneurship, Innovation, Internships and skill development.
- Sustained R10Membership growth, best in IEEE Regions is example of my volunteer leadership efforts. Introduced Regional Member Benefits like Member Medical Insurance(India), Membership Dues Payment in local Currency, Discounted entry to Visvesvaraya Technological and Birla Museums. Helped Council and Section leadership to build membership in China.
- Mandated review and revision of section/council/region governing documents across R10.
- My industry experience and classic interpersonal relations helped converting IEEE strategies into tangible and tactical actions like co-ordination with local sections/chapters to kick-off IEEE/PES Smart City Workshop Series, Global Sister Society Agreements’ & JANS Awards’ co-ordination, IEEE-HKN new Chapter Installations, etc;